Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pierce Street... My Grandmother's Legacy


My Grandparents bought this 3-story Victorian house in the late 50's. They were always surrounded by friends and distant families. Mostly army buddies who brought their wives and families over from the Philippines after World War II. My Grandmother and Uncle came to live with my Grandfather in 1947. My Grandfather was in the service and away from his family on and off for 20 years and when he was reunited with them, his oldest daughter (my mother) was married and had a few grandchildren and his son became a man and was soon to be in the service himself.

All through the years from the time they bought this Victorian home to the time their retirement home in Sacramento was completed being built in 1977. They have welcomed new families starting a new life in the United States. These were friends of friends, family of friends, our family from the township, distant family, neighbors, etc. It didn't matter basically if you were a friend, most were referred to my Grandfather and Grandmother for a place or rather a room to live in.

We refer to our humble home as "Pierce" as that was the name of the street we lived on. Through most of my childhood years, I remember the comraderie of everyone and saw how strong our heritage was practiced in this little community of ours, mainly because of my Grandparents and their friends. Every weekend there was a gathering whether it be for lunch, a party or all night party of Mah-Jong. Our house was never empty, it really was nice. Everyone in the building was either "Auntie", "Uncle", "Brother", "Sister", "Grandfather", "Grandmother", even there was no relation what so ever. We were like a family, a really BIG family!

Most of the 70's, our neighborhood was still filled with plenty of Filipino families. I think back and though I never really paid attention to any of them, I remember their faces and their names. I was about 5 years old in 72' and I didn't realize the significance of what my Grandparents gave to our community. After the 70's and the 80's rolled on in, there weren't as much families having their new start here at "Pierce" anymore. In 1985, the year I graduated high school some friends decided to rent a flat out with roommates and that's when things really start to change.

Since then we have had a lot of students, new couples just starting out, elderly couples move in, rebel kids trying to prove they can be independent and lots of loonies! For the most part my Grandparents offered basically cheap rent. He negotiated with them understanding their situation also explaining his situation too as far as needing to pay utilities, taxes... etc. Unfortunately that became his thorn in his side later....and is what is our thorn now or more my Mother's.

A couple of decades ago it was possible to negotiate rent and there was no rent control and heavy rental laws or strict rental boards. My Grandfather, over the years must have had his head stuck in the ground because as this was all established he did not prepare himself to set rent at a more marketable rate. It was because of his ways and his stubborness he let the building go bad. He didn't maintain it as well as he should have. My Mom inheriting his traits is the same way.

The picture of our house above is how it looks now. It finally got painted last year after years and years of my Mom saying she was going to have it painted. The last time this house was painted was back in 83'-84'? I definitely was in highschool. OMG!! that's like about 20 years ago...well it was really weathered and peeling and the ugliest house on the block, a definite eyesore. Our neighbor next door painted their house twice in that time span!

Well that was some of things my Mom has taken on as improvements/renovations/repairs/remodeling to this house. It is really sad though how bad it has gotten. If my Mom and Uncle had invested in this house while they were all alive with my Grandparents, this house would not be in such a state. Now my Mom is the sole owner and now having to make right what my Grandfather let get wrong.

I am glad she has part of her flat done though she has not completed it yet. This house has been a headache for her but this has been her home since she has come here from the Philippines. This is the house my Grandmother worked so hard for, the one my Mom fought basically tooth and nail for.

As for all the neighborhood folks and the people who have came and gone, we have seen some of them. Most have passed on and we have seen the rest unfortunately at the gatherings of their funerals. It's remarkable to see these familiar faces, have aged, or the older kids are now Moms, Dads, or even Grandparents. There was talk of a neighborhood reunion, to share history to the new owners, residents and neighbors living in this neighborhood of the past. I guess the plans for that dissipated.

If my Grandmother was here today, she would be so pleased with how the remodeling is coming along. Probably be happy with how the house looks. This house is her legacy......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home